Spiced coffee recipes are very popular in India and Arab countries. Coffee drinkers love these drinks for their unique aroma and unique flavor nuances. One of the most interesting variants is coffee with cloves – a delicious warming drink with useful properties.
How and when to add the spice to coffee
The tiny unopened buds of a tropical clove tree, dried and fermented, are cloves. It looks like sticks with an elongated stem and a large core.
This widespread spice with ancient origins is inexpensive and famous for its amazing taste and healing power. Its warm burning smell adorns spicy marinades, fragrant baked goods and expensive perfumes. You can also add cloves to coffee. Cloves can be added to coffee, which will be a delicious, healthy and original way to drink it.
- Don’t miss: What spices can be added to coffee
Fresh cloves are desirable in cooking – they have more fragrant essential oils. Freshness is easy to check – just dip it in water. Fresh ones will lie at the bottom or float with their buds up, while the ones that have lost most of their valuable properties will remain on the surface.
To cook delicious and fragrant coffee with the spice, you need to take into account that prolonged heating destroys the flavor-aromatic qualities of the spice. Therefore, it is recommended to add it at the final stage – whole buds or in the form of freshly ground powder.
Bright taste and aroma of the drink
Cloves have a sharp-sweet taste and a rich, slightly pungent aroma. A specific spicy odor has the cap, and a spicy pungent taste has the petiole. Usually the whole herb is used, not in parts, but if you want to enhance the flavor and not get spicy, you can take only the top part.
This spice complements and tones up the flavor and aroma of traditional coffee, but doesn’t overpower it. Such a combination creates a completely unique nuances. Cloves soften the bitterness of coffee and give it a touch of sophistication. The drink is slightly tart and has a spicy sweet flavor. For a fuller development of the coffee flavor, you can add a bit of orange peel to your cup.
- Read also: Recipe for coffee with orange peel
Benefits and possible harms
In South America, Africa and the Middle East, the invigorating spiced drink has many fans. It is valued not only for its unique taste and subtle spicy smell. Coffee with cloves is good for the body. This combination of products:
- boosts the immune system;
- relieves symptoms of colds – eliminates head and muscle pain, weakness, cough, sore throat, nasopharyngeal swelling;
- strengthens the walls of blood vessels;
- stimulates digestion and increases appetite;
- gives strength and increases brain activity
- improves sperm motility, libido and sexual performance;
- removes bad breath.
Spice essential oils stimulate blood circulation and lower blood pressure. Therefore, even hypertensive people can afford such coffee – 1-2 cups a day.
The drink has almost no contraindications. Harm coffee with cloves can bring only people with an individual intolerance to any of the components and pregnant women (the spice causes the uterus to shrink).
The ingredients of the drink are quite accessible, and it is not difficult to prepare it in your own kitchen. Foodies can experiment by testing coffee recipes with cloves that include other fragrant spices like cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg.
Classic oriental recipe
- coffee – 3 tsp. freshly ground beans;
- cloves – 2 sticks;
- water – 150 ml;
- sugar – ½ tsp.
- Warm a turkey
- Pour the sugar into the pot and hold it over a flame for 3-5 seconds until the crystals begin to melt slightly.
- Remove the pot, pour in the coffee and cold water. Return the pot to the stove, wait for the foam
- Repeat step 4 twice more.
- When the foam has risen for the last time, remove the pot from the heat and add the cloves.
- Cover and leave to infuse for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Put an ice cube in the pot to settle the liquor on the bottom.
- After a minute, pour out the drink.
over low heat.
to rise, remove it, wait 30-60 seconds.
It goes well with dried fruit, candied fruits, marshmallows and marshmallows.
Variation with cloves and cinnamon
- fresh ground coffee – 1 tbsp;
- water – 200 ml;
- cloves – 2 crushed buds;
– 0.5 tsp. powder.
- Place the ground coffee, cinnamon and cloves in a turkey, pour them with cold water and mix thoroughly.
- Place on low heat, wait for the appearance of foam on the surface and remove the pot from the stove.
- Repeat the previous point 2-3 times.
- Leave for a couple of minutes so that the drink has absorbed the flavor of spices.
- Strain and pour out.
Cinnamon will give the drink a special sweet flavor. Serve it with Turkish delight or cubes of brown sugar.
Variant with ginger and cardamom
- natural freshly ground coffee – 3 tsp;
- water – 250 ml;
- cloves – 2 sticks;
- ginger and cardamom
– a pinch each.
- In a turkey pour the coffee and water.
- Place the pot on low heat, wait for the appearance of foam and take it off for a minute.
- Place the pot back on the stove, and when the foam begins to rise, add spices and stir well.
- Keep for 2-3 minutes under the lid, filter and pour.
This drink should preferably be served with the tiramisu – the dessert perfectly accentuates its light spice.
- This is interesting: Coffee and sweets – what the drink combines with
- ground coffee – 1 tbsp;
- water – 200 ml;
- milk – 200 ml;
- cloves – 3-4 clove umbrellas;
- cinnamon, crushed ginger root and ground nutmeg – 1 tsp;
- cardamom – 2 crushed grains;
- fresh mint – 3-4 leaves.
- Boil water in a turkey, add spices, stir.
- Wait for the bubbles, pour the coffee.
- Bring to a gentle boil, pour the milk
- Leave for 5 minutes, then strain and pour out.
, reduce the heat as much as possible and again wait until it boils.
Serve on its own or with any oriental sweets.
The drink, prepared according to any of the proposed recipes, should be poured into preheated cups, adding sugar and milk or cream if desired. The number of ingredients in all of these recipes is calculated for two servings.
Coffee with cloves is tart, fragrant and healthy. It is warming in winter and refreshing in summer (when chilled). The drink is a wonderful tonic, so drink it better in the morning to get a boost of energy for the whole day.