Life in the coffee world follows its own rules. The rule of aromatic coffee requires a fresh grind. In order to choose the right coffee grinder, you need to analyze the “coffee laws.”
Coffee laws of grinding
- The brewingprocess is based on how finely ground the coffee beans are and whether they have turned into the tiniest grains
- The main law of aroma: Coffee beans should be ground before brewing in order to minimize the contact of ground coffee with air
- The longer the preparation time the coarser the coffee particles should be. And vice versa
- Coffee grinder should grind coffee evenly, be adjustable and not heat up
- No more than 7 grams of ground coffeeper cup
- Theright grinder is a big success in a home coffee shop.
From coarse grind к coffee powder
To achieve the most intense aroma and flavor of freshly brewed coffee, you need to know
- coarsely ground coffee is suitablefor brewing coffee in a cup(cupping);
- in French presses, where coffee is infused in gradually cooling water, coarsely ground coffee is required;
- for geyser and drip coffee makers, a medium coffee grind with granules, like fine sugar, is more suitable;
- automatic espresso machines, where coffee is made by pour over, require a finely ground powder, called “espresso“;
- coffee brewed in a carafe must be extra-fine, almost like a powder.
Coffee grinders: types, characteristics, pros and cons
Manual millstones grinders
These are grinders in which the mechanism is set in motion by hand. The process takes time, but how much pleasure it brings when the aroma of ground coffee gradually builds up. It becomes a real ritual. The design of manual coffee grinders is so diverse that it allows you to assemble an original collection that will decorate the interior of the coffee island in the kitchen.
- coffee not overheats и not loses its qualities
- adjustable degree grind ground grain
- price low
- ideal for a turkey or a jesvah.
- – the process takes a long time.
Wooden vintage-style grinder, small, with a metal coffee pourer on top.
The ground coffee falls into the bottom drawer.
The millstonesmechanism allows for effortless grinding of coffee for the jesvah and the distillery.
Metal and ceramic millstones do not heat up the coffee and preserve the aroma.
There is an adjustable grind mode.
You can grind coffee and enjoy the aroma.
Coffee grinder made of natural dark wood, with an elegant curved handle. Designed for grinding hard types of coffee. The grinder is equipped with steel millstones and a screw for adjusting the degree of fineness of grind.
Original oriental-style coffee grinder with a special joint handle that rotates both ways. A beautiful brass body and ceramic millstones set the mechanism apart from the range of coffee grinders. The mechanism is characterized by an adjustable, quality grind for brewing coffee in a carafe.
*An important note: Only an electric grinder will help in the morning, when you are in a hurry.
Electric rotary coffee grinders
These are grinders in which the beans are cut and ground by rotating knives, single or double blades. Grinding takes place at the bottom, the beans are gradually lowered down, the ground coffee is displaced upwards. The longer the grinding process, the finer the ground coffee.
Alow-power 80 watt grinder will grind coffee long enough. The machine with double blades, works faster.
Powerful 270 watt models will heat the beans too much and the coffee will be bitter. It is better to choose the power of 130-180 watts.
- metal and ABS plasticmodels are stylish, robust and durable
if the lid is removed, the power is automatically locked;
- the most smallest model per one at a time processes 40 grams grains
- low price;
- suitable for making coffee in a carafe.
- grind heterogeneous
- coffee overheats at long work и can become bitter
- blades knives can become dull
- no dispenser portions
- uniform grind possible only с high power from 180 W
- the problem of some manufacturers – after a year it can burn out the motor
The 180-wattcoffee grinder of the famous brand is made in high-strength plastic. The bottom of the device is inclined, which allows you to achieve an even, fine grind. The bowl is made of stainless steel with a capacity of 75 g.
A small disadvantage – it is necessary to hold the lid of the device during operation.
French coffee grinder with 180 W is presented in a red and black body, equipped with steel blades. The machine works in pulse mode continuously for no more than 20 seconds. The volume of one grind is 50 grams of coffee. Cons: no timer; nonremovable cup.
The brand’s brushed metalgrinders with a maximum power of 150 W are equipped with a system against overheating and provide a uniform grind. The loading capacity of the beans is 60 g. They work quietly.
Disadvantages: no timer and pulse mode.
If you don’t have a coffee grinder at all How to grind coffee without a grinder
Electric grinders grinders
These are mechanisms which grind grains into powder between millstones made of steel or ceramic. The distance between the millstones can be varied. This helps to change the size of the grind. The number of grinding modes allows you to get ground coffee for any brewing method. Titanium coated grindstone is the most durable. Cone shaped beans rotate slower than cylindrical ones, so coffee doesn’t get warm. Separate containers are provided for beans and ground coffee.
- ground coffee of uniform grind and the desired degree of grind;
- automatic locking when the lid is not closed;
- ceramic and titanium coated metal grindstones, almost indestructible;
- dispenser; – overheat protection;
- it is possible to grind a large amount of coffee;
- power from 100 W to 1000 W;
- models from metal are stylish and durable.
- large dimensions of the machine, which is inconvenient for small kitchens;
- metal models are heavy;
- ceramic millstones can break if hit by a foreign object;
- high price;
- in programmable models it is practically impossible to stop the running process.
This stylish Italian coffee grinder with a maximum power of 150 watts offers 18 grinding modes. The machine is available in a metal case with a container for ground coffee with a lid and for coffee capsules and is equipped with stainless steel millstones. It has a temperature function, automatic stop at the set volume of ground coffee and programming of the process. It is used exclusively for coffee.
Coffee grinder with 120 grams of beans. Adjustment of grinding intensity. You can set the number of cups and the machine automatically stops after processing. Automatic shutdown when removing the containers.
* When choosing a coffee grinder, you should pay attention to the nuances:
- the “noisiness” of the mechanism;
- plastic grinders are more fragile to operate than metal grinders;
- the rubber feet of the grinder ensure stability.
Any of the coffee grinders considered will be a good buy for a coffee gourmet’s kitchen.