Many people have a stereotype that coffee should be hot, because that is how people in most countries of the world drink it. However, this invigorating drink also tastes good when it is chilled. Cold coffee is called frappe, and it has an interesting and rich history, which not all coffee aficionados know.
History of origins
Frappe has Greek roots. The refreshing and refreshing cocktail was invented in the 1950s. At that time, it was served exclusively in small cafes and resort restaurants. The purpose of the drink’s invention was not to cool during the hot days, but to show the luxury. The point is that at that time ice was in short supply and was considered a gimmick.
The author of the frappé was Dimitrios Vakondios. He made it for the first time in 1957 at a fair in Thessaloniki. Dimitrios was not a barista, he just wanted to drink coffee in between presentations and there was no hot water. There was a shaker at the presentation that was used to demonstrate the preparation of another drink. Using it, Dimitrios Vakondios accidentally discovered a recipe that became popular around the world.
- Don’t miss: Coffee Drinks – Types and Names
A man combined instant coffee with cold water and sugar until a lush froth formed. Over time, the Greeks began to add ice to the drink as well. “Frappe means “chilled” in Greek. Initially, the drink consisted of ingredients such as cold water, coffee and sugar.
Can I make a Frappe out of instant coffee?
Frappe is prepared on the basis of instant coffee or espresso. It is a cold cocktail that is chilled and whipped until frothy.
The main highlight of a chilled coffee drink is the high froth. The highest and most consistent froth can be obtained from a product that is devoid of oils. For this reason, the ideal choice is an instant product in the form of granules or powder.
In expensive cafes, a double espresso is used as the basis for frappé. It tastes better and is healthier, but the crema is unstable and not very high.
How to make frappe at home
There are several ways to prepare Greek-style frappe at home. Here are a few of them.
- a cup of cold espresso;
- couple spoonfuls of condensed milk
- The condensed milk is introduced into the espresso and stirred for a few minutes.
- When the condensed milk has completely dissolved, fill the tall glass halfway with ice cubes.
- The drink is poured in a thin stream on the ice.
- All ingredients are gently stirred with a cocktail spoon.
The drink is made without any foam.
The following recipe for Greek-style frappe coffee is widely used at home:
- Cooled water is poured into a glass by about 1 cm.
- One spoonful of instant coffee and sugar are stirred in the water.
- The components are whipped until a high and puffy froth forms.
- Ice cubes, milk and water are added to the glass to make the desired volume of drink.
With walnut liqueur
You can diversify the recipe for cold coffee with a nut liqueur, which will give it a spicy taste. To make it, take:
- a cup of espresso;
- 15 ml of sugar syrup
- 20 grams of melted chocolate;
- 2 tbsp. pecan liqueur
- Boil espresso in a coffee maker or with a coffee machine
- Add the sugar syrup, the liqueur and the liquid chocolate.
- Using a mixer, whisk all the components into a smooth mass.
- Crush the ice into crumbs and spread it in a flute, filling one third of it.
- Pour the mixture on top.
, pour it into a cup.
The citrus will give a refined taste and aroma to the coffee drink. To make orange-flavored frappé, a syrup is made from the rinds of two oranges, a cup of sugar and a glass of water. When the syrup is ready, extract pieces of zest from it and cool it down.
For the orange frappé, the ingredients used are:
- freshly squeezed orange juice – 100 ml;
- cup of espresso;
- syrup – to taste;
All ingredients are combined, whipped and the resulting liquid is poured into a tall glass, half filled with ice. Decorate glass with cut orange slice.
Connoisseurs of the unusual taste will like this recipe:
- In one cup, prepare frappe in the classic way, in the second – whipped 50 ml of milk, 5 strawberries and sugar.
- Pour ice into a cocktail glass, then pour the coffee and then the milk with the whipped strawberries.
- The cocktail is topped with a fresh mint leaf.
This is another popular recipe for homemade frappé.
You will need the following ingredients:
- 1⁄4 cup of natural bean coffee;
- 1⁄2 cup crushed ice;
- 50 ml milk;
- 1 Tbsp. chocolate syrup;
- whipped cream
- Combine all ingredients except ice and whisk until frothy.
- Fill the glass halfway with ice.
- Pour the frappé slowly into the glass.
What is Frappuccino?
In Americans, the same drink is called “frappuccino”. In composition, they are almost identical. The main components are:
- whipped milk;
The difference between the two coffee drinks is that the frappe is made with the barista’s creativity and a variety of ingredients, while the frappuccino is made according to a strictly patented recipe. The volume of the American “sibling” must be strictly 460 ml.
Frappé and Frappuccino can be drunk not only in summer but also in winter, enjoying the unusual taste of the drink in a cozy home environment.